Koala Ark for Barrington Tops

Koala Ark for Barrington Tops

Aussie Ark to create a 7000-hectare sanctuary for koalas in Barrington Tops.

The not-for-profit organisation will use exclusion fencing for the $1.3 million project, which it aims to complete within three years.

The project, known as Koala Ark, will secure a wild population of 1000 to 1500 koalas.

Aussie Ark has dubbed the project the world’s first wild koala sanctuary.

The aim will be to protect the area from intense bush fire, which can decimate remaining populations within only days, as seen recently in NSW.

The project includes removal of introduced species such as horses, pigs, goats, cats, foxes and weeds. Field officers will monitor the sanctuary over the long term.

Koala populations in parts of NSW and Queensland had experienced catastrophic loss and were heading for extinction by 2050 at the current rate of decline.

Aussie Ark president Tim Faulkner has started a Go Fund Me page, titled Saving the Koala, for the project.

(Story courtesy of the Newcastle Herald)

For more information, visit the Aussie Ark website

Book an exclusive tour at Aussie Ark to learn more and help support the organisation.

DONATE HERE

We are in the midst of catastrophic bushfires, coupled with prolonged nationwide drought. Over 90% of koala habitat had already been lost with the remaining 10% being fragmented and vulnerable to intense bushfire. Fires have the ability to decimate remaining populations within only days and it is frightening how little could be left. Aussie Ark is looking to secure a future for the species.

Advertisment:

Related news:

New Small Business Recovery Grant

$3,000 grant to help businesses safely relaunch their operations following the Covid-19 lockdown.

Leonardo DiCaprio donates $1million to Aussie Ark

The money will go towards the sanctuary’s wildlife recovery programs in Barrington Tops.

Aussie Ark

Aussie Ark saves the Manning River Turtle

Turtles and eggs collected for insurance population after catastrophic events.

New Small Business Recovery Grant

$3,000 grant to help businesses safely relaunch their operations following the Covid-19 lockdown.

Leonardo DiCaprio donates $1million to Aussie Ark

The money will go towards the sanctuary’s wildlife recovery programs in Barrington Tops.

Aussie Ark

Aussie Ark saves the Manning River Turtle

Turtles and eggs collected for insurance population after catastrophic events.